Spotting the hazards
An important aspect of your risk assessment is to identify potential hazards in your workplace. A good starting point is to walk around your workplace and consider what activities, processes or substances could injure your employees or harm their health?
Here are some pointers to help you spot them:
- Check manufacturers’ instructions and safety data sheets, these will assist in determining the hazardsand putting them in their true perspective.
- Look at previous accidents, injuries, ill health records, and/or near misses, these often help to identify the less obvious hazards.
- Consider non-routine operations, such as maintenance, changes in production layout etc.
- Consult with employees, for their knowledge of the process or work activity, as very often they have a feel for some of the more specific work-related hazards.
- Think about long-term hazards to health, such ashigh levels of noise, exposure to harmful substances and those associated with mental ill-health at work.
Share this entry
Where there is exposure to metalworking fluid or mist, it is a legal requirement to carry out health surveillance, even when preventative controls are in place. Find out more about getting a scheme set up https://workright.campaign.gov.uk/campaigns/metalworkingfluid?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mwf-inspections&utm_content=homepage
A great group of people with a common interest in health, safety and environmental matters #Health #safety #environmental
Busy putting together the NOSHEA calendar of events for 2024. It always includes legal updates. Our monthly meetings are early evening, finishing no later than 7pm. We meet at venues across Northampton. https://noshea.org/
Up to 5,000 MEDITERRANEAN GULLS roosting in Weymouth this evening
Ducks deluxe … in the #Northantsbirds Newsround 28th January to 3rd February https://northantsbirds.com/2023/02/04/newsround-28th-january-to-3rd-february-2023/
Save AutumnWatch - Sign the Petition! via @UKChange
If you're out for Christmas parties or getting a few mulled wines in at the Christmas market, always get a taxi home. Safely enjoy the festive season with family and friends by making it #NoneForTheRoad
If you run a food business in #Northamptonshire or surrounding areas, we can assist with all pest control needs.
Contact us to discuss how we can help you.
Quote of the Day - slowly catching up ...
“Don’t walk in front of me… I may not follow
Don’t walk behind me… I may not lead
Walk beside me… just be my friend”
― Albert Camus